Thursday, May 7, 2009

Slipper satin - saved!



I'm terribly excited about this dress redesign for Leila. The original dress, her grandmother-in-law-to-be's (still with me?), was also worn by her future mother-in-law for her own wedding. Leila wanted to honor tradition, but it was soooo much dress. It had a high neckline, billowy leg of mutton sleeves with lace cuffs, a peaked 1930s waistline, gathered skirt, and truly the longest train I have ever seen. The whole dress was made from drop-dead glamorous slipper satin, and it weighed about 10 pounds.

What I did: dropped the lace neckline and bound it with a narrow bias strip of the satin. Recut an A-line skirt from two of the original skirt panels. Fashioned a new waistband from the leftovers. Made fluttery lace sleeves from the cuffs. Abbreviated the train by about 6 feet. Reattached the original covered buttons and loops. Made a modern dress out of a retro relic. Hurrah!

7 comments:

CaraBella said...

*What* a *beautiful* job!! Seriously, I wish I lived in Portland so I could take all these dresses + ideas (yes, plural of both) and we could work together on my dream dress. We'll ignore that I'm already married...

jules said...

This is probably my favorite of all your dresses! My mom wore her mother's slipper satin dress, and if it was still around, this is exactly what I would have wanted do to it! Love all your retakes of older dresses, just brilliant!

Melanie Schow said...

This is beautiful in it's own right and to know that it is a "restoration" of a beloved family heirloom makes it more special. You strike a lovely balance of respect for the beautiful materials and making it into something special that suits this bride. I think this kind of work is more challenging than making something completely orginal. Congratulations, it is stunning.

Bukola said...

would have LOVED to see the before of this dress. This is so lovely. I just found your blog/etsy shop. I really love your aesthetic. Lovely, lovely work!

violarulz said...

aww, I need a seamstress in the Boulder/Denver area. you're so awesome! do you know anyone out here?

teresa said...

bridal online shop bridal gowns wholesale wedding dresses high quality bridal gowns wholesale custom wedding dresses wedding apparel wedding dresses top sellers wedding dresses2010 new arrivals 2010 new arrivals wedding dresses beach wedding dresses Luxury Wedding Dresses plus size wedding dresses wedding party dresses bridesmaid dresses junior bridesmaid dresses flower girl dresses mother of bride dresses wedding shoes wedding bags wedding accessories evening dresses prom dresses cocktail dresses quinceanera dresses little black dresses

teresa said...

bridal gowns beach wedding dresses couture wedding dresses destination wedding dresses informal wedding dresses bridesmaid dresses mother of bride dresses cocktail wedding dresses evening gowns quinceanera dresses wedding dress wedding dresses wholesale wedding dresses cheap wedding dresses bridal online shop