Friday, December 7, 2007

Dovecoat

A vintage coat makeover. The lining, an oily-looking peach satin, was soiled and shot. The coat's hem was coming apart and the cuffs had been nibbled by moths from previous eons. I think it originally had a fur collar that had been ripped away. I shortened the coat overall and cropped the sleeves to just below the elbow. New horn buttons from the Button Emporium and a new grey lining smarten it up. This was my first experiment re-lining a coat...not as straightforward as I thought it would be. I gave myself permission to do a so-so job, but when I took the coat apart, I saw how hastily it had been made in the first place--crooked seams, misshapen pockets, lumpy sleeves. Not everything was good in the good old days. I think I managed to improve on the original.

No comments: